Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Oh Mr. Sandman

So continuing on my weekend training log. After my morning workout on Friday I worked and then had the remainder of the night to do whatever I wanted. Loved having that freedom and not feeling bogged down by the pressure of having to complete a workout. I had bought fresh salmon and asparagus earlier in the week and decided that Friday night would be the perfect time to make it. I was feeling really ambitious and had also made a long list of tasks to complete as well that night. After running and around after work and picking up things from the grocery store, I finally made it home by 8:30 pm to start dinner. I always wonder where time goes while I am shopping. I'm convinced that somehow the world just speeds up or I get lost in the isles. Anyways, I ended up making this amazing Maple syrup Salmon recipe with asparagus. See recipe below:

Baked Salmon with Maple Syrup Glaze

1 lb fresh salmon
2 tsp. maple syrup
olive oil or non-stick spray baking pan
salt to taste

Salmon Rub:
2 tsp. sweet paprika or smoked paprika (don't use hot paprika)
1 tsp. chile powder
1 tsp. ancho chile powder (optional, or use another tsp. regular chile powder)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. brown sugar

Preheat oven to 425. Combine all the spices in a small bowl. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Remove the skin from the salmon (hardest part of the whole recipe). Place salmon in baking pan. Coat salmon with spice mix and place in oven for 20 minutes or until cooked to desired likeness. Remove from oven and pour maple syrup over to taste desired.

I also sautéed asparagus in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and then add lemon after. Delicious. See, I do cook when I have time. But by the time I was done and had finished the dishes and few loads of laundry it was already 12:15 am. Waaaayyy past my bed time. I was determined to get up in the morning to get my hour forty-five bike ride in but when my alarm went off at 5 am, my lack of sleep from the last two days had caught up with me and I hit my snooze and slept until the last possible minute. I had to get up to coach skating all morning. After coaching all morning and then attending a beautiful baby shower for a co-worker, I arrived home at 6:45 pm with full ambitions to throw in a movie and hit the bike trainer for my long weekend ride ( very short relative to summer training rides). As I was changing into my biking outfit my bed looked oh so very enticing. I laid down and promised myself a quick power nap and then I would bounce back and be ready for my ride. I wake up to my phone buzzing next to me at 9:30 pm. Crap guess that was a long five minute power nap, kind of felt like when I go shopping and time flies. By this time I was so exhausted that I decided to stay in bed and call it a night. Needless to say the score board read:


Mother Nature: 1 Jackie's Movtivation: 0



“Rest when you're weary. Refresh and renew yourself, your body, your mind, your spirit. Then get back to work.”

No comments:

Post a Comment